High-Level IDEAL Group Projects
- Developed demonstration telecom app in support of the FCC’s mandated migration from TTY to RTT Technology.
- Speech2RTT® Communicator
- Developed a Digital Talking eBook Reader and helped produce accessible STEM educational content in support of schools across the country.
Bush Administration: 54th Inauguration Technology Project
- Integrated technology into George W. Bush’s Inauguration Program and Guidebook. The project repurposed technology being used by the Israeli military to come up with a method that enables a person who is blind to scan 77 pages of text… with only one pass of a scanner, with 100% accuracy.
- 54th Program Book (See Page 32)
- 54th Guide Book (See Page 77)
- SEC Filing: Bush Presidential Inauguration Publications Use High-Tech Code
- BBC’s Tomorrow’s World TV science programme
Bush Administration: Fifty-Fourth eNaugural.com Ball Webcast
Clinton Administration: AT&T Bell Labs Project Freedom
- From 1990-1994 Steve Jacobs served as Chairman of AT&T Project Freedom. It was during this time that Steve’s engineering group pioneered the development and use of interactive video technology for sign-language communications over telephones. This technology is now referred to Video Relay Services (VRS). What follows is a link to a video of Project Freedom’s first pilot test. This video captures a gathering of students from Horace Mann Montesory School for the Deaf using ASL to communicate with each other over telephones, for the first time in history. This video also contains video footage of Alexander Graham Bell.
- Video: First ASL Communication Over Telephones
- Although a competitor, Sprint used Project Freedom’s Vistium Video System for their first VRS pilot test in Texas. Here is a 1995 flyer announcing the pilot test
- Here is a GA-SK Newsletter article about Sprint’s pilot test
- Here is a photo of Reid Huntt (Chairman of the FCC at that time) and Steve Jacobs, Chairman, AT&T Project Freedom demonstrating their video system to FCC Commissioners
- Designed, developed and implemented accessible prototype kiosks for the Smithsonian Institution’s American History Museum
- Link to showcase
President Clinton’s Digital Divide Tour:
Clinton Administration: Digital Talking Book Production
- Vice President Gore: Published a Digital Talking Book in support of a reception held at the residence of Vice President Gore.
Clinton Administration: Built Internet Resource Center for the 53rd Presidential Inaugural Committee
Clinton Administration: 53rd Presidential Inauguration
- Integrated technology into the 53rd Presidential Inaugural Program Book.
- Inauguration Program Book